Device Descriptor Request Failed or Unknown USB Device is a common problem among Windows users. Whenever you attach an external USB device to your system, there is a high chance that it gets corrupted and you might not be able to use those devices properly. This happens most with flash drives but there are exceptions too like DPC Watchdog Violation. If you are facing an unknown USB device descriptor request failed error on Windows 10/8.1/7, then you can perform some really simple steps to get it fixed. Remember, USB\unknown issue can also be caused because of incompatibility, so make sure the device is compatible with the version of Windows you are using.
Here in this post, we are going to tell you everything about the USB device not recognized device descriptor request failed error and will also tell you how to fix it. There are various methods available on the internet to fix unknown USB device descriptor request failed but you must be cautious while performing them on your system. Using third-party tools, scripts, and services to fix USB device descriptor request failed can harm your device, and it may even get bricked. Instead of that, you can simply follow the unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed) fixes mentioned in this post to fix this issue yourself.
- 1 What Is USB Device Descriptor?
- 2 How To Fix Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
- 2.1 Method #1. Reinsert Power Supply and USB Device
- 2.2 Method #2. Use Windows Troubleshooting Tool
- 2.3 Method #3. Scan System For Hardware Changes
- 2.4 Method #4. Update Generic USB Hub Drivers
- 2.5 Method #5. Reinstall USB Drivers
- 2.6 Method #6. Disable USB Selective Suspend Setting
- 2.7 Method #7. Disable Fast Startup Settings
- 3 FAQs Related To Device Descriptor Request Failed
What Is USB Device Descriptor?
USB device descriptor is basically a program responsible for collecting information about the USB device connected to the Windows device. USB_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR structure comes installed in Windows by default and if this structure doesn’t find proper information about the connected USB device, then you will get this error. After collecting the necessary information, it allows the user to view the details. You can visit the Device Manager section on your Windows to see those details like hardware ID, device type, manufacturer, and many more.
- How To Fix: Ethernet Doesn’t Have A Valid IP Configuration
Unknown USB Device Error Causes
As we said above, there are many reasons behind the unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed) Windows 10 error. You must be aware of the settings and permissions given to the USB devices as Windows settings might not let an external device connect to it. Below we have mentioned some of the major causes of device descriptor failed error in Windows, so you can fix them easily.
- Incompatible software or hardware.
- Outdated USB or the device drivers.
- BIOS is not updated to the latest version
- Corrupted/damaged USB device.
- The USB device is not in a proper format.
How To Fix Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
Method #1. Reinsert Power Supply and USB Device
The first and foremost thing you can do to fix unknown USB device invalid device descriptor error is to unplug and plug the device again. You need to do this with the power adapters, cables, and all of the external devices like the printer, keyboard, mouse, etc. Start plugging one device at a time (including the affected USB device) to see if there were issues with any of the other devices.
If you are able to fix a request for the USB device descriptor failed Windows 10 error by following this method we will recommend you not to make any further changes to your system. If not, then you can try other unknown USB device device descriptor failed fixes mentioned below.
- Also Read: How To Scan A Computer For Missing Drivers
Method #2. Use Windows Troubleshooting Tool
Windows 10 comes with a lot more powerful tools than the previous version of the Windows like Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. You can run the Windows Troubleshooting Tool to fix almost all minor issues with your Windows system. The same goes for the Unknown USB device (invalid device descriptor) issue. Here’s how you can find this tool in Windows 10:
- Click on the Start button and type: Troubleshooter.
- Select the Troubleshoot Settings option.
- Click on the Hardware and Devices option.
- Now, click on Run The Troubleshooter.
Windows will automatically run the troubleshooter to fix issues with the hardware and devices connected to your Windows device like unknown device Windows 10 error.
Method #3. Scan System For Hardware Changes
Sometimes the devices connected to the Windows device might not get detected and it might have happened with your USB device. A quick fix for this is to scan your system for hardware changes. Not only device descriptor request failed, but you can also follow this method to fix other issues like the USB device not recognized the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned. Here’s you can do this:
- First of all, open Device Manager.
- Click on Action available in the Menu Bar.
- In the drop-down menu, click on Scan For Hardware Changes.
If there is no such option in the Action button, then simply click on the Computer With Magnifying Glass icon on the Sub-Menu Bar. You can also Right-Click anywhere in the device manager window to get this option.
Method #4. Update Generic USB Hub Drivers
To fix issues like “the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned” you can simply update your device’s Generic USB Hub Drivers. This can be done either by using third-party tools or directly from the Device Manager. It is a helpful method to fix NVIDIA GeForce Experience Error Code 0x0003 as well. If you don’t know how to update USB drivers Windows 10, then you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- First of all, open Device Manager.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
- Right-click on Generic USB Hub Drivers.
- Click on the Update Driver option.
- A pop-up will appear on your screen.
- Simply, click on Search Automatically For Drivers.
- Wait for the process to finish.
- Once it is done, restart your device to make changes.
Remember that you will need an active internet connection to download and install the latest USB drivers for your device. After restarting, plug in your device again to check if the unknown USB device device descriptor request failed code 43 Windows 10 issues have been resolved.
Method #5. Reinstall USB Drivers
Another quick fix for device descriptor request failed error is reinstalling the USB drivers of that device. Well, every time you add a new device to your Windows PC, it automatically installs the required drivers for that device to work properly. In case you are having a hard time fixing an unknown USB device or any other errors related to USB devices, simply uninstall its drivers by following the steps mentioned below.
- Open Device Manager. You can do it in two ways.
- Open the RUN box, type devmgmt.msc, and hit Enter.
- Right-click on Start Button, and click on Device Manager.
- Scroll down and expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers option.
- Look for the device showing an Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) error.
- Right-click on that device and click on Uninstall.
- Once the uninstall process is completed, restart your device.
- Plug in the same USB device again and the required drivers will be installed automatically.
Method #6. Disable USB Selective Suspend Setting
Well, this Windows setting can be pretty much responsible for why your USB device is not working properly. The main work of USB Selective Suspend is actually to suspend the work of a particular port without affecting the work of other ports or devices. Even if you have the latest generic USB hub driver installed, this particular program can cause issues. Here’s how you can disable this option from Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel (not Windows Settings).
- Navigate to System and Security -> Power Options.
- Click on Change Plan Settings (the one you are using currently).
- Now, click on Change Advanced Power Settings.
- A pop-up will appear on your screen.
- Expand the USB Settings option.
- Again, expand USB Selective Suspend Setting.
- Disable both the On Battery and Plugged In options.
- Click on Apply button, then on OK.
- Restart your PC to make changes.
Method #7. Disable Fast Startup Settings
The fast startup helps your computer in booting quickly but it can create quite a lot of issues if not configured properly. Even though there are very few chances that you are facing universal serial bus controllers unknown device Windows 7 error because of this. Still, you can try disabling this feature and check if you are the one among those who are facing an unknown USB device (port reset failed) error because of it. Here’s how you can do it:
- First of all, open Control Panel.
- Go to Power Options.
- Select Choose What The Power Buttons Do.
- Click Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable.
- Under Shut-Down Settings, uncheck Turn On Fast Start-Up option.
- Click on Save Changes and restart your device.
FAQs Related To Device Descriptor Request Failed
What Is Device Descriptor?
Every USB device must have at least one device descriptor that is responsible to provide necessary information such as idVendor, idProduct, Hardware ID, etc. about the device to Windows. This USB_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR structure allows Windows to verify the authenticity of the USB device connected to it.
What Causes Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed?
There are many reasons why a request for the USB device descriptor failed. Windows 10 particularly has the best way to verify the identity of the USB device. If you are on an older version of Windows like Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, the chances of getting a request for the USB device descriptor failed error is high.
How To Fix Device Descriptor Failed Code 43?
There are literally numerous methods available out there to fix device descriptor request failed USB on Windows 10/8.1/7. It doesn’t matter why you are getting a USB unknown device error, you can fix this issue by following the methods mentioned above.
How Fix USB Set Address Failed?
You can follow these quick solutions to fix USB set address failed or unknown device USB. The same solutions will also work for unknown USB device descriptor request failed Windows 10 problem:
1. Turn off fast startup.
2. Update or roll back drivers.
3. Boot system in Safe Mode.
4. Use the Windows Troubleshooter program.
How Do I Force Windows To Recognize A USB?
Well, instead of making changes to fix unknown USB device(device descriptor request failed), you can simply force Windows to recognize your device once. This solution also works when you are getting an unknown USB device Windows 7 error.
1. Open Device Manager.
2. Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
3. Right-click on the connected device.
4. Uninstall drivers.
5. Click on Action -> Scan For Hardware Changes.
So this is all about the device descriptor request failed and we hope you have found what you were looking for. There are many device descriptor request failed windows 10 fix available on the internet but we have mentioned the best among all. Even if you are looking for a device descriptor request failed mouse, you can follow these steps.
We will keep this post updated with more methods to fix configuration descriptor request failed, so keep visiting Danial Tech Blog to know about them. If you are facing any issues in following any device descriptor request failed fix, or you have any questions related to an unknown USB device error, feel free to ask us for help via the comments below.